OSF Reflection: 2nd Sunday of Lent

 

1st Reading:  Genesis 12:1-4a

Responsorial Psalm: Ps 33:4-5, 18-19, 20, 22

Second Reading:  2 Timothy 1:8b-10

Gospel:  Matthew 17:1-9

 

Reflection:  Reflecting on today's Gospel, I especially related with how Peter, James, and John must have felt about the Transfigured Jesus - confused, fearful, shocked. Matthew clearly states Peter, James, and John, "fell prostrate and were very much afraid."  It is very easy to let fear prevent our growth and actions.  For a long time, I was so afraid of failing that I never took a risk.  Consequently, I was minimally fulfilled and rarely contributed.  It was not until I took the risk to enter the Franciscan Brothers of Brooklyn that my life finally felt fulfilled by my willingness to contribute to life.  When dealing with fear, we may wish to ask what are we afraid of and take our fear and turn it over to God.

 

Returning to the Transfiguration scene, imagine the shock of Peter, James, and John seeing images of Moses and Elijah, and hearing the Father's voice.  It is this kind of shock Francis experienced as he prayed in front of the San Damiano Cross and Jesus told him to “Rebuild my Church, which you see is in need of repair."  It is this kind of shock I experience time after time when I witness God's miracles for Brothers, family, countless others, and myself.  This Lent, more than ever, we need to open our hearts to God so we can experience the shock of these miracles.

 

Confusion, Fear, Shock. On this second Sunday of Lent, may we overcome any confusion by learning, fear by courage, and embrace the shock of the miracles God has in store for us.  During this Lenten Season, on our journey to Calvary, let us recall the Prayer of Discernment which St. Francis prayed before the San Damiano Cross:

 

Prayer: Most High, Glorious God, enlighten the darkness of my heart.  Give me true faith, certain hope and perfect charity, sense and knowledge, Lord, that I may carry out your holy and true command.

 

Brother Gregory Cellini, OSF

(Thank you, Brother Greg, for contributing this week's reflection!)

Comments

Popular Posts